Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Disney, Caltech

As many of you know, I was kept quite busy on the faculty job market this past spring, when I spent three months traveling almost non-stop. My time as a postdoc at Carnegie Mellon University was a very stimulating and productive one, but it is now coming to a close. Many thanks to my supervisors, Carlos and Krishnan, as well as all my other colleagues and collaborators. CMU truly is an amazing place with its sheer scale of high-impact research activity.

I'm delighted to announce that I've accepted an assistant professor position in the Computing and Mathematical Sciences Department at the California Institute of Technology.

When visiting Caltech, I was very drawn to the technical rigor as well as the intense interdisciplinary focus that permeate the entire faculty. For instance, I was pleasantly surprised to find common ground with geologists, economists and biologists there.

This interdisciplinary culture is in part due to Caltech's extremely small size (only ~300 faculty total). In fact, I will be one of the very few machine learning researchers at Caltech, and I'm looking forward to interacting and collaborating with a wide range of researchers there.

However, I won't be starting at Caltech just yet. Starting next week, I will be spending one year at Disney Research (and defer my start at Caltech to fall 2014). I'm treating this as an chance to do a pre-sabbatical in industry before starting my tenure-track job.

Disney Research tackles an impressive range of interesting data mining and modeling challenges (including advanced video analysis, data-driven animation and cyber-physical sensor systems), and also currently do not have an overly large machine learning presence. I hope to use this opportunity to find "untouched" ground to push machine learning in new directions that I find interesting.

Finally, I'd like to thank all of my reference letter writers, ThorstenCarlosBobby and Krishnan, for all their support and guidance throughout my job search process. It's been a hectic transitional year for me, and I'm very much looking forward to diving back into research!

1 comment:

Romilda Gareth said...

Letters are crucial documents for job seekers. No resume should go out without an accompanying cover letter. And that letter is your first introduction to that employer. See more here writing professional letters