Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Bound

I have decided, upon the successful defense of my thesis in at the end of this summer, to take up a postdoctoral position at the iLab in the Heinz College at Carnegie Mellon University, where I'll be working with Carlos Guestrin and other researchers there.

It's a great opportunity to conduct interdisciplinary research and leverage large datasets, and also to work with some of the best machine learning researchers in the world. The goal, as I see it, is to explore new problem spaces, see how machine learning can make a difference, and design novel (and principled) machine learning techniques motivated by these new problems.

It's a temporary position, so I'll be looking for another job in a couple of years, but the research prospects are definitely exciting. I'm also not ready to settle yet, which reduces the downside of it being a temporary position.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats! Sounds like an exciting new adventure. :)

ThinkingFish said...

Congratulations!

I always put good faith in interdisciplinary research; more so for data mining, more so in this era of exploding data. Excellent choice.