Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer Snapshot 2009

Now that I've been hanging around the Bay Area for a while, I thought I'd share some adventure stories and other tall tales.

I'm having a great time interning at Google. I've been very impressed with their amazing infrastructure, which in turn gives them the agility to quickly try out new ideas. The amount of data I've handled so far this summer is already greater than the total amount of data I've ever dealt with in the past.

In my spare time, I've been trying to balance my other priorities, such as conferences, other research activities tied to my thesis, staying healthy, and, of course, spending time with friends and family. In fact a whole host of family members paid a visit a couple weekends ago. We made hotel reservations at Fisherman's Wharf and spent the weekend seeing San Francisco, taking a cruise, and hiking in Muir Woods.

Here we see my cousin Cecillia with her mom and husband Afrim preparing to dine at the Crab House at Fisherman's Wharf. She was very excited.


I was noticeably less excited. Luckily, my mom helped pick up the slack on this side of the table.


We took to the water with a cruise around the bay. It was quite windy.


The water was very cold (which is very typical in NorCal). Nonetheless, one can still find a few brave (or stupid) souls every now and then who decide to take a tumble into the bay. This here might be the best candid shot I've ever taken.


After exploring the city a bit (including lunch in Chinatown), we meandered over to Golden Gate Park and eventually the beach.


Photography in action.


The next day, we took a trip north of the bay to Muir Woods.


Steve, Eric and John came as well.


This shot made me feel a little bit like we were in the Lord of the Rings.


Eric being Eric.


Eric: my hands, they have a mind of their own!
Steve: I'm not impressed.


The following weekend (which was 4th of July weekend), Ryan took a break from his start-up in Seattle to visit. We settled down next to the Shoreline Ampitheatre to watch some fireworks. It can get quite chilly at night in the Bay Area. As such, it's usually wise to bring along a sweatshirt or jacket. Here we see Ryan performing the requisite maneuvers.


None of my fireworks shots came out well since I didn't have a tripod with me. So I'll just conclude by showing some pictures where I flashed other people, such as Todd


Todd again.


Ryan.


I've also uploaded a few photos to my Flickr photostream for your viewing pleasure. This one is my favorite so far from this summer.

No comments: