Monday, April 20, 2009

Bernstein's Mass

Ever wonder how my evenings are spent way up yonder in isolated Ithaca? This week, I'll be at the Schwartz Center doing my bit for Cornell's production of Bernstein's Mass. As part of the Cornell Glee Club, I'll be singing in the background liturgical choir (which basically means I'm a backup singer).

Bernstein's Mass is one of the most ambitious productions in existence, mostly due to it sheer size. Luckily, Cornell has the luxury of giving out course credit (as well as letters of recommendation) instead of monetary compensation to student performers (who comprise the majority of the cast).

Having rehearsed for a few weeks now (including tech rehearsal every night last week), I can safely say that it should be a great show. Our lead actor, Dominic Inferrera, is quite amazing -- he has that rich baritone voice that every young choir boy dreams about having. So if you happen to be in town this week, unlikely as that is, be sure to catch one of the shows. We'll be performing every night from Tuesday (tomorrow) through Sunday with an additional matinee performance on Saturday (details here).

3 comments:

Parisa said...

I won't be in town to see in person, but good luck!

Lance said...

Man, I'd love to see this. My old mentor David is directing.

Break legs, Yisong!

Yisong said...

Thanks! I recently saw David Feldshuh do the splits. It was quite something...