Monday, November 10, 2008

A Message From Aubrey

I recently received this plea for help from my new FaceBook friend Aubrey de Grey. It's too bad I can't help out, since my family does have a history of cancer. But hopefully some of my esteemed readership will take the initiative.

---------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

My long-time friend and colleague Chris Heward was recently diagnosed with terminal oesophageal cancer. With standard treatment he has a life expectancy of only a few months. However, he is in the fortunate position to be able to access very novel and promising therapies, and the one he is working to get is very promising indeed, even for terminal cases. I'm writing this message because YOU can help - the treatment needs donations of white blood cells. For more details, please see the FaceBook page that has been set up for this purpose:

http//www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=33488382415

and join the group "Friends of Chris Heward":

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37638890926

This treatment is very new and experimental, but I believe it has a real chance of giving years - maybe even decades - of extra life to those like Chris who otherwise are at death's door. Without Chris's efforts to obtain this treatment for himself, it would probably have been years before anyone in the West received it. Thus, Chris is blazing a trail here that may save a very large number of lives. Please do what you can to help.

Cheers, Aubrey

No comments: